Saturday 28 & Sunday 29 October | Copeland Gallery, Safehouses 1 & 2 and Station Barbers Peckham
Science Gallery London presents Becoming Blood, an alternative Halloween weekender of free events, interactive installations and experiences around Peckham exploring the vital fluid inside us all.
Art works include interactive installation Acid Yellow 7 from artist Beatrice Haines in collaboration with King’s College London forensic scientists, the Blood Bikers, a roving performance team gathering stories about blood from Londoners, a historical reckoning with a cream tea from Aboriginal artist S.J Norman, and installations from Interaction Design students at London College of Communication. Artist jamie lewis hadley brings his Blood on the Streets performance to a local barber shop to explore the history of blood donation and bloodletting,and Lynn Lu, in collaboration with neuroscientists, invites you to look inside your blood and think about what else it reveals.
Becoming Blood takes place across multiple sites including the Safehouses – two Victorian terraced houses that sit adjacent to Copeland Park, the Copeland Gallery, and a barber shop next to Peckham Rye station.
Find out more about the events by following the links to the events pages below:
- Personal Protection Emoji – Saturday 28
- Blood on the Streets – Saturday 28
- Hemowealth, you’re bloody perfect, a subject hidden away & Kardia – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- Blood Bikers – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- Take this for it is my Body – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- Acid Yellow 7 – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- Cardiomorph – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- For of all the sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been’ (Where Blood Has Been Shed) – Saturday 28 & Sunday 29
- Forensics Uncovered – Sunday 29
Some performances will need tickets to experience but all places are free. Links to book are on the individual event pages.
LOCATIONS & TIMINGS
- Copeland Gallery, Unit 9I, 133 Copeland Rd, London SE15 3SN [Google Maps] | Open 10am-6pm both days
- Safehouse 1 & 2, 137 & 139 Copeland Road, Peckham, SE15 3SN [Google maps] | Saturday: 2-10pm / Sunday: 2-7pm
- Station Barbers Peckham (for Blood on the Streets by jamie lewis hadley), 8-10 Blenheim Grove, Peckham, SE15 4QL [Google maps] | 7:30pm start (Saturday 28 October only)
Stay up to date with what’s happening over the weekend by following Science Gallery London on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @ SciGalleryLon
With thanks to: Dr Manasi Nandi, Professor Carmine Pariante, Natalie Mounter, Colin Brown, Dr Nunzianda Frascione, James Gooch, Dr Linda Barber, Dr Isabel Valli, and Tim Maggs from King’s College London and South London and Maudsley NHS Trust.